Monday, May 28, 2012

6-yrs-old niece

                             
my 6-yrs-old niece came to visit us during the Memorial weekend....

she voluntarily helped me pull out the clothes out of the dryer and get the cheese out of the wrapper.... These, albeit small tasks to adults, took all her concentration and effort as a kid.   I see her finding ways to help and feel independent... Kelly beams as she preforms and learns new tasks.

Last night I asked Kelly to help make dinner.  She was so excited! Her enthusiasm reminded me of what it was like when I was six-years-old. 

I involved her in the entire process, starting at the grocery store. She picked out the best apples, tomatoes, bread, soup, and chips to go along with our sandwiches. I tried to persuade her to pick tomato soup, but she insisted on chicken noodle.

When we got home, the process of making a grilled cheese sandwich was exciting and fresh to her. From counting the amount of bread per person, to buttering the bread with a brush, to unwrapping the Kraft Singles--she did every thing with such care and thoughtfulness. 

The most nostalgic part of the night for me was teaching her how to unwrap the cheese.  It takes a certain amount of resistance, yet ease to get the cheese out of the wrapper. I've eaten tons of grilled cheese sandwiches in my life, but none have been better than the one assembled by Kelly. She was so proud of her meal and so was I!
..............................................................................................................................
2 Slices of White bread
Kraft Singles
2 tbsp Olive Oil
Set oven to Broil Setting. Brush two slices of bread with olive oil on one side. Place cheese on dry side of bread. Assemble sandwich with oil side out. Put in broiler for 30 seconds, flip, repeat. Done! 
Serve with TOMATO SOUP or chicken noodle. :)
...............................................................................................................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment